Monday, April 14, 2014

I can never wear any cloth that exposes my boobs — Tolani Akande




Tolani Akande, a graduate of Accounting from Osun State Polytechnic, Esa-Oke, Osun State, is the Chief Executive Officer of Sapphire Fashion House and Skin Care Clinic. In this interview with TAYO GESINDE,   the accountant-turned-professional skin therapist cum organic skin care manufacturer speaks on common skin problems and their  cure  and her fashion preferences. Excerpts:

Why I decided to go into skin care therapy
 My passion for beautiful and flawless skin drove me into skin care business.  I had been having challenges about my skin since I was 12 years. I used to have dry, tight and at times, scaly skin. The skin of my legs was having surface wrinkles and lines like old people. It was so challenging and frustrating.  I vowed to get a permanent solution to it as soon as I could which I eventually did. Within a year that I started treatment, my skin was  healed and since that time, I have had flawless skin. And the most interesting thing was that I got the cure here in Nigeria, thanks to all the rich and natural skin care ingredients that God blessed us with. That was why I decided to go for skin care training after I overcame the problem. I trained here in Lagos and I
also attended workshops and training in South Africa and Scotland. I started my skin care business in 2010 and God has been so good to me.

Challenges faced when I started
 The major challenge I faced was that of impatient customers. My products are natural and organic, I also have a spa where I do face and body treatments. People want magic. They want their pimples and acne to disappear within 24 hours of treatment. They want stretch marks of donkey years to disappear in a day. I usually take my time to explain to them even before using my products or coming for treatments that they need to exercise patience. There were also cases of some of our clients who were combining our products with that of other manufacturers and this may result to skin reaction which will be difficult  to trace because of the different products used.

On whether it always takes up to a year for one to get cured
It is not every time that one has to wait for a year before one could get result. It took me  that long because I had a  lot of issues;  dry skin, patches, spots all over my body and stretch marks due to pregnancy. If a customer is having same issues then, yes, she has to wait because we use bespoke safe natural/organic ingredients so the outcome will be a gradual thing. But if the skin issue is addressed early then, it won’t take long. Remember mine started a long time ago.

Common skin problems and their solutions
The common skin problems we have in Nigeria are dry skin, stretch marks, acne/pimples, patches and uneven skin tone. For dry skin, avoid using hot water to bath, add a cap of moisturising oil into bathing water and moisturise your skin with a body lotion rich in Vitamin E.  When it comes to acne or pimple remedy, avoid picking or squeezing the area, don’t over wash the area, change your pillow case daily and use neat face clot.  Stretch marks remedies include the use of white sugar to exfoliate the skin, application of aloe Vera or any cream base that are rich in Cocoa Butter. Also, avoid dryness and keep your body well hydrated by drinking 10 glasses of water daily. As for sunburn, avoid using bleaching cosmetics, minimise your exposure to sun and apply sun screen before you go out to prevent uneven and patches on your skin.

Opinion on toning
You can tone but don’t bleach. Toning is to correct uneven skin complexion while bleaching is try to turn dark to white and that is not advisable.

Coping with competition
 Well with God by my side, I have been coping because we have so many quacks but I am focused and my customers are happy because I have established an intimate relationship with them. Also, I welcome ideas and listen to their complaints while taking notes of their observations.

Beauty regimen
I cleanse, exfoliate, tone and moisturise my skin. I drink lots of water, eat right and exercise regularly. I smile a lot too.

Advice to women
Avoid using harsh products on your skin, minimise your sun exposure, bath twice daily; morning and night and visit the spa at least once a month.

Favourite designers
 I don’t have favourite designers what I do is that I buy whatever looks good, durable and classy.

Definition of style
 Style to me simply means a unique way, technique or design by which you do some things.

Favourite perfume
 Burberry

Favourite colour
 Purple, black and wine

Choice of accessories
When it comes to shoes, I don’t wear high heel or wedge with mid heels. As for bags, I love good leather tote. I am not a jewellery fan so I do without it.
Relaxation
 When I want to relax, I don’t go out at all.  I stay indoors and watch movies.

Accessories I can’t so without
 My bag. I love good bags. At present, I have 21 bags.

Special treat
 I go to spa to pamper myself, get a good sauna bath and massage

Combining career with the home front
 It’s a little bit challenging because of the distance between where I live and work and everyone knows that traffic is a big issue in Lagos but God is helping me. Aside weekends, I normally take a day off during the week to stay back at home. Moreover, I am married to a supporting husband and we have two beautiful daughters.

Opinion on provocative dressing
Hmm, I don’t buy the idea because it is the way you are dressed that you will be addressed.

What I won’t be caught dead wearing
 Clothes that expose some parts of the body like the boobs and butt.

Opinion on cosmetic surgery
 It depends. If it’s going to safe life, then its fine but for the extremist, I don’t support the act.

Skin maintenance
 In terms of money it’s between 5 and 10 thousand and consistency matters. You have to go for treatment once in a month.

Natural ingredient that I use
  I use tomatoes, lemon, palm kernel oil, shea butter, palm oil and so on. These ingredients don’t only work but they are safe too.

 Empowerment
 I train people. The business is highly lucrative. My advice for job seekers is that they should stop wasting time looking for invisible jobs rather, they should develop their skills. They can be self employed by becoming their own boss.

Read More: http://www.kevindjakpor.com/2014/04/i-can-never-wear-any-cloth-that-exposes.html#ixzz2yqUI73zp