Sunday, January 27, 2013

"I Enjoy My Career On The Silver Screen" – Kenneth Okonkwo





Kenneth Okonkwo is a name to be reckoned with in Nollywood. He was brought to the limelight after featuring in the movie, ‘Living in bondage’, which also marked the turning point for the Nigeria movie industry. In this interview, he talks about his life as an entertainer and a lawyer as well as the need for good governance in the country.

You are an inspiration to many. Being a lawyer and an actor what was growing up like?  - Growing up was basically academics and entertainment. I come from a family that places a lot of premium on academics, for my father you must go to school. We also had the freedom to engage in any kind of sports we like. So my growing up was a football thing, it was a table tennis thing and it was an academic thing. My father was particularly interested in my academic life and I think he reaped a lot of dividends from that.
By the grace of God by the age of 21, I had already graduated from the University of Nigeria Nsukka. I was the best graduating student in business management. As a matter of fact the University of Nigeria gave me a certificate for academic excellence. I went back to school after my first degree, because I was too young to claim that I had graduated. I accumulated almost about five degrees.
Apart from the business management, I had gone to a school of theology and I have my master in international law and diplomacy. Am a lawyer now. So what ought to be my passion became my purpose at the same time. Entertainment was my hubby and I wanted to be a professional - both worked. My play as an entertainer has worked, that graduated me into an actor and my academic works graduated me to an executive and a learned gentleman.